Friday, June 3, 2011

We're adults?!

Well life has been crazy this last little while! So much has happened and we are turning into adults. Our first step into adulthood was marriage. We then bought a car which we love. Let me tell you what car shopping is not a fun experience, I pretty much hate it. It's so hard to find a good deal out there on a car that you want without spending way too much for little newly weds but we seemed to pull a fast one on those car salesman and bought from a private seller. We love our new car!



After purchasing our first car I graduated from college. Jordan thinks I just have this obsession with thinking I'm old, but I cannot believe I have graduated from college already....this means I must be old! I remember being little and when someone was married or in college I considered them an adult, now I am married and not even in college so what am I? An old adult? It will take some time to get used to but I am actually so glad I am done with school. Nursing school was fun but at the same time horrible; from waking up at 4 AM for clinicals in St George to staying up until 3 AM studying for some silly test I am so pleased that this stage of my life is over!

The Christensen Family at My Pinning Ceremony

The Husband and I :)

My parents and I - they are the reason I made it through college!
I could not have done it without them! I love them so much!

SUU Nursing Class of Spring 2011

WE DID IT!

At graduation my mom kept saying "can you believe you will never have to take another test again?" and I kept repeating "I still have the biggest test of my life ahead of me"...the dreaded NCLEX.

Oh how every nursing student in the world dreads this test....if you don't pass this test the degree you worked so hard for is worthless! Little can I say I studied my butt off for this thing; from the moment I woke up til the moment I went to sleep I was studying. Our house was a mess, there was never a real meal on the table (it was more like sandwiches or Little Ceasers), and I didn't see Jordan very much this week. Every night when we would crawl in bed Jordan would hug me and say "I miss you" and I missed him too but I was way to stressed to spend time doing anything but studying! There was way tooo much to know!

I felt like this man, there were too many books and too much information!

A few days before I took the test I started having severe test anxiety, I've never had it this bad in my life.I couldn't even sleep. I would get in bed and all I could think about was Addison's Disease or Liver Biopsy's or Schizophrenia....what the signs and symptoms were, medications given, nursing treatment....it was pure misery. Once i finally fell asleep I would wake up soon after only to find that I slept for only two hours and that I knew more about bronchoscopy's and colonoscopy's than I wanted to know at that moment!

The morning of my test I woke up smiling because I knew I was going to take that stupid thing and wouldn't have to study my butt off on this day....and hopefully get a good nights rest that night! I was so nervous that if I didn't pass I would have to do the whole studying thing all over again and that was what made me the most nervous out of everything!!!

I arrived at the testing center bright and early to get my photo taken, which looked more like a mug shot, have my vein scanned (ya I know this was a surprise to me too), and basically get frisked. The people at this testing center take their job seriously!

My mug shot

The Vein Scan

The Frisk

Ok so it wasn't a real frisk, but she did make me pull out all of my pockets, turn around in circles, and pat down my self so she could see any lumps or bumps that might be hidden in my clothes!

I entered the test and an hour and a half later it was over, I was so happy when question 75 came up on the screen and then it shut off after I answered. I left the test and felt ok about it, which kind of freaked me out because to pass the test you must reach the very difficult level of questions and they say that when you leave it's normal to feel like crap because you had very hard questions but this is a good thing. This made me nervous. Two days later I found out my results....I PASSED! I called Jordan and could not stop smiling! I was so so happy!

The pretty flowers my husband gave me after I found out I passed :)
I am now an RN, Jessica Christensen, RN. I love how that sounds. It means the studying is over now, school is over! I will never have to take another test again! The next challenge will be finding a job so I can start my career...because it looks like I'm an adult now, and I hear all of the real learning begins now!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You're the best. So glad you're living life and that you're happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have a blog. It's fun to keep up with everytone. First of all... CONGRATS on passing boards!! That is such a huge accomplishment and huge sigh of relief! And yes, growing up is crazy! Wait til you have a baby... then you feel really old :) But it looks like you are doing great!! Hope all is well and that you are enjoying married life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw WOW WOW!!! JEssie! You are so old now!! You are an RN!? WHat the Skelch!? I still have tons of school left it feels. I am not going to accept that I am an adult yet... at least not mentally. so you are taking BIG steps! I love you and I'm so proud of you for passing this test of DOOM! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete