Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's a New Year?

Today I read an inspired post from my sister-in-law Amanda, it was all about being positive and how things happen for a reason. I know I am always talking about my boring life in Oklahoma but after reading her post I am going to take her advice and try to be patient and learn from this experience instead of worrying about my unemployed self. Her post was in the back of my mind all morning, I even told her it was like the talk in sacrament that you knew was just for you because I couldn't get it out of my head. At some point today I thought, I can't wait for the new year, it will be so nice to set new goals and work towards improving myself....and then I thought, I don't need to wait 6 more months...I'll just set them now!

Last year Jordan and I had an awesome New Years Eve but we didn't set any goals, we were too busy wedding planning to even think about making changes...wouldn't getting married be change enough? Now I can't wait to set new goals with one another for the year 2012 but for now I am going to set new goals for me :) there is so much I want to improve on but I don't want to set too many goals so I am overwhelmed and wont succeed.












There are a few goals I know I want to set...

1. Read and PONDER the scriptures daily
  
In high school I read my scriptures everyday no matter what but since graduating and becoming so busy with memorizing drugs instead of scripture I haven't done as well as I know I should. When Jordan and I read the scriptures together at night I am amazed at all he knows about the scriptures! Yeah of course he did spend 2 years of his life in "mission land" focusing only on the gospel but he knows soooo much! I want this knowledge, it makes it so nice to understand. He also quotes so many prophets and apostles....which brings me to goal #2

2. Read a talk from a prophet/apostle at least 3 times a week:

We receive the Ensign every month but I know that I have not read it like i should have, and I'm going to change that! I love reading talks, I understand them. They inspire me. I am going to take advantage of the living prophets and apostles and read and PONDER on what they have to say.



A few years ago I got a book with all of President Hinckley's talks in it and I have not yet read it, I am going to change that too. I love President Hinckley so much and I am so excited for this! Jordan wakes up and leaves for his ten o'clock meeting in the morning and I just stay in bed, not that I need to but I just do. As pathetic as it is sometimes I sleep in past 11! I need to start waking up with Jordan and take advantage of this time that i have this summer and do things worthwhile like reading the scriptures and talks each morning  instead of sleeping my life away.

3. p90x Six Times a Week for 90 days

Jordan and I started doing p90x two weeks ago. The first morning after working out i rolled over and couldn't even reach to get my phone I was so sore. I felt as it I had been hit by a train! I hurt everywhere! We kept going and although I still get super sore and want to throw up during the workout things are going better. BUT p90x is HARD ...sooooo HARD! It's hard to wake up each morning and know that you are going to hate yourself as soon as you pop in that dvd but after it's done I feel great that I finished the workout! One thing that really gets me is that I am very weak, I usually run when I workout and due to this my muscles are pretty small, I showed Jordan my bicep the other day and he laughed and said "you would make a funny cadaver...."? Seriously? I guess I need to increase my strength so one day I can make a not funny cadaver? Looks like we have until the first week in September to accomplish this goal!


This is Tony Horton, he is the instructor of p90x and SOO annoying. Today while working out Jordan said, "I think the real challenge is seeing if you can listen to Tony for 90 days!" haha you would appreciate it if you knew how this guy is.

4. Set a Budget - $150/month for groceries

Now that I am actually cooking/baking I realize how expensive it really is! Grocery bills are killing us and although we have cut back on spending I want to cut back even more! I was talking to Lety the other day and she told me that her and kennon only spend $150 a month on groceries! How do you even do that? I'm going to try. I want to make 2 new recipes a week while here in Oklahoma and I'm nervous I wont be able to do this on the budget! If you have any advice PLEASE let me know!

5. Keep caught up on my blog.

Like I said in a previous blog I want to keep caught up with this so I can have a "journal". This is something I will do and I want to be able to look back at our life and remember those funny moments that we shared :)

Welp I guess we start today! I have enough time each day that I know I will master this and i can't wait! Let me know if you have any suggestions!

7 comments:

  1. Two pieces of advice to save money grocery shopping. Learn to live with the cheap-o brands. They might not be as delicious, but it saves a lot of money in the long run! I also try to make recipes that leave enough for Jordan to take to lunch too so we don't have to eat out or use more groceries to make him a lunch. We've been trying to save on groceries but I'd die if I could only spend $150 a month... it's so hard to make good meals on a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess! What a pleasure to have my name featured on your blog. You are too great. I think your post was great! I try to set goals too! I literally set 15 new years resolutions! Don't ask me how I am doing. I wanted to tell you to look at these blogs: http://www.ourbestbites.com and http://picky-palate.com. I have made some recipes off of picky palate and they were sooooo goood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this soooo much!! I need to do the same. I swear that I should be the BEST person that I've ever been cuz I have so much time to do things like study and exercise but I have not been the best. I will set goals too!! Splendid! Thanks for being such a great example :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Jess. Ok. I will start training... However, you have to run the Halloween half marathon with me. It will be awesome! You dress up in a costume and run. Don't you think it sounds fun? I already know what I want to be. Wilma from the Flinstones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look Jess, for the Halloween half we will get a medal with a skull on it. We need this. We need that medal. I hate running in the cold too. But I need that skull medal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a cooking blog where I post all of my recipes that I make for Kraig and I. I also try to make enough that it lasts for lunch or dinner the next day. But here's my blog: http://dinnertonight-hails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete