Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One year of Nursing Shmursing

Well it's official. I'm an adult with a career and I've been doing it for a year now :)

When turned the big 23 one year ago I got my first job as a RN! My first official job was actually giving flu shots at Walmart (this job rocked, I got paid to sit on my butt and read….Hunger Games are so good). My second job as a RN, (technically my first real nursing job) was at Kolob Rehabilitation in St. George. Gosh I wish I would have wrote in my journal when I first starting working, talk about stress. The bathroom was my saving grace, I would occasionally go there for a five minute break where I could cry in private and then resume the stress of the floor. My morning med pass lasted from 6 AM to 1030 AM, only to start my second med pass at 11AM. There were so many patients that I didn’t really know any of them and had no idea what they really needed. I had never changed a dirty brief in my life and although this is TMI I had to double glove over and over again due to constipation….digital removal is oh so very gross. From falls, chest pain (I hate chest pain, you never know when its real), supervising CNA's, dealing with doctors, getting punched in the face from combative residents, med errors, caring for those that were actively dying, calling family and telling them that their loved one has passed and much much more I eventually began to like my job. I hated commuting but learned to appreciate the geriatric population and enjoyed making a difference in their lives and in my own. Being a geriatric nurse is hard work but I continue to push myself as I think of the fact that one day in heaven these individuals and my Father in Heaven will hold me accountable for the care I provide for them in this fragile state.

The first time I worked with a resident actively dying I learned what a privilege it is. Those are very precious moments and to make one comfortable during that time is a very rewarding feeling. The first time I had a resident pass the family was not there and it was my responsibility to call the family and inform them of this, I had been keeping touch with the daughter frequently but to tell someone that their father has passed away, that is hard. I could not/cannot do it without crying and hope I never can. The family called after this day and spoke to someone one in management and complimented the care I gave to their father during his passing and how I informed/treated the family during and after, that is rewarding.  

 When I went to nursing school I never dreamed of being a geriatric nurse but I am so glad that my career gave me this experience. I really learned to get to know my residents as well as love them. There’s nothing like hearing “you’re my favorite nurse”, you know you’re not only taking care of them physically but mentally as well. I love those residents. I know one day in heaven I will be best friends with some of those residents and I look forward to that.

I am now working in Cedar City at Kolob, owned by the same company but under different management which makes a big difference. I enjoy my job but I do look forward to working in a more acute area such as medsurge. Being the breadwinner is definitely challenging at times and i'm thankful I don't have to do it forever but while I am doing it I'm becoming a stronger person and learning from those I work with, especially those in the geriatric population. 

2 comments:

  1. When I saw your post title, I laughed and said, "Hey, I've been nursing for almost a year too!" haha Not even the same. You are amazing. I wouldn't ever be able to handle the stress and the things that you do everyday! You have such a great way of turning not-so-fun things into great things! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess I love and miss you!!! I'm so grateful you wrote this because we had such similar first years of nursing! It's so crazy how life has gone since nursing school but you're still an amazing nurse even though you're a Geri nurse :) ps. I also cried a ton my first year as a nurse!! Almost as much if not more than I did in nursing school!!

    ReplyDelete